As parents, the birth of a new baby is an event that significantly alters your day to day activities. Activities as simple and basic as shopping which you used to do without batting an eyelid suddenly become herculean tasks simply because of the burden of having to cater for or carry the baby along while carrying out these activities.
Fortunately, many child care aides are available to make this task of child-rearing less strenuous and also minimize its interference in our everyday activities. One such aids is the baby stroller. A stroller is one very important item to buy when planning to tour around a place, jog, travel, go shopping and so on while carrying your baby along as it provides great relief for parents preventing you from getting tired carrying your baby. There are several hundreds of good baby strollers out in the market and this makes selection a somewhat daunting experience.
For your needs and budget, always know that there will be that perfect set of wheels for you and your baby. That being said, here are our picks for the best baby strollers in the market.
Best Baby Strollers: Top Picks
1. Overall Top Pick: UPPAbaby Vista
The UPPAbaby Vista is our overall top pick for baby strollers. Renowned for its phenomenal adaptability to baby growth and increasing family needs in terms of the number of babies, it comes with a bassinet which makes it usable for an infant from day one. Also, options of a seat and kickboard are included which allows it to be used for children of different ages. All in all this stroller is capable of accommodating three children without adding width to the stroller, and it comes in different combinations of the bassinet, seat, and kickboard (e.g. two seats and a kickboard, two bassinets and a seat, etc.) to accommodate specific needs of different people. It also has a one-step fold feature and the seat can be in multiple positions such as forward-facing, parent-facing and reclined positions. In addition to these, it is compatible with MESA infant car seat-direct attachment with no adapter’s necessary, thus very suitable for use in car trips.
- Adaptable and can be used as baby grows
- Can accommodate up to 3 children of different ages
- Compatible with MESA infant car seats without the need for attachments
- One-step fold feature very intuitive and easy to use
- It is not pocket-friendly as it is quite expensive.
A lot of customers feel it is hands down the best investment in baby gears and it saves you money in the long run but there were a few complaints about the silver frame getting scratched way too easily and also no clear carriage handle to lift unto curbs for people living in big cities in places devoid of ramps.
2. Best All-Terrain Stroller: Baby jogger city mini GT2
The baby jogger city mini GT2 is a great versatile stroller that comes at a fairly affordable price. It is an all-terrain 3 wheel stroller that affords the user the ability to navigate any terrain with relative ease, front-wheel suspensions are also present to ensure a smooth and comfortable ride. A quick fold technology which makes this stroller easily foldable and with one hand at that makes it a great choice. Other pertinent features of this stroller include adjustable handlebars to adapt it to the height of the user, Large adjustable UV50+ canopy with peek a boo window to protect babies on sunny days, and a plush padded seat that can hold kids up to 65 pounds.
- Very versatile and suitable for almost any environment be it a large city or the suburbs
- Adjustable handlebars make it super comfortable for any user irrespective of height
- Seats can hold kids up to 65 pounds and thus can be used well beyond toddler years
- Easy to fold with one hand and compact-sized
- It is not easily usable with car seats
Virtually all customers think it is an excellent choice for a stroller as it is lightweight, yet sturdy and can be used on any terrain. It would take a while to find any negative reviews on this product.
3. Best Affordable Stroller: Summer 3Dlite convenience stroller
When you're on a tight budget and you are out for a stroller that doesn't break the bank and yet sacrifices very little in terms of features, product quality, and durability, the summer 3D lite convenience stroller is your best bet. This stroller has an all-aluminum frame which translates to it being super lightweight, and yet incredibly durable. Weighing just 13 pounds, it is one of the lightest strollers on the market. Other notable features include a large adjustable canopy with a pop-out sun visor to provide even more protection on extremely sunny days, an extra-large storage basket, rear storage pocket, and a cup holder to accommodate various items you'll need on the go, easy to recline seat with additional padding to ensure your baby always has a comfortable ride. The aforementioned features and the inclusion of a five-point safety harness system, anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels all contribute to making this stroller a great bargain.
- It is extremely lightweight weighing just 13 pounds
- It is inexpensive
- Plenty of storage space to suit individuals needs
- Easily adjustable to 3 height positions to accommodate child growth
- It is not very durable
- It cannot be used with an infant car seat
A lot of customers recommend this stroller for its lightweight and was said to have great value for money. It was recommended as the best choice when the budget is a very significant factor, but a few complaints about the product include poor durability and inability to cope on certain terrains.
4. Best Jogging Stroller: Thule Urban Glide 2 jogging stroller
For parents who are allured to staying fit and as a result, frequently hit the gym or carry out some aerobic exercises, having a baby certainly shouldn't deter you from sticking to your fitness routine. The Thule Urban Glide 2 was created for this purpose. Whether you're going on a run or just a leisurely jog, this stroller can keep up with your pace. One great feature of this stroller is its swivel front wheel which makes it easy to maneuver and locks into place for jogging. it has ample storage space, a protective canopy, one-handed compact fold for quick and easy folding and storage, an ergonomic handlebar adjustable to suit users of different heights, integrated twist hand brake system to ensure maximum control, a 5-point safety harness system, and built-in rear suspension system to make the ride smooth and comfortable for the baby even on bumpy terrains. It is also aerodynamic which reduces the drag from air moving past it.
- It is lightweight for a jogging stroller weighing just 25.3 pounds
- The hand brake system gives maximum speed control
- Ensures smooth ride for the baby on any terrain
- Only suitable for children 6 months and above
Customers loved this stroller and say it is hands down the best jogging stroller in the market, despite this, a few customers had reservations concerning the depth of the seat, claiming it is not deep enough.
5. Best Double Stroller: Contours options elite tandem
A distinguishing feature of this stroller is its ability to hold two children simultaneously, between 4-50 pounds each making it a very viable option for parents with twins or two children in quick succession. Several features on this stroller have earned it its position as the best pick for this category; versatile seating configurations (7 seating options), dynamic front and rear wheel suspensions for a smooth and comfortable ride, an elite stadium-style seating configuration with recline, adjustable footrests, and in-seat pockets, and a padded five-point safety harness system. It also comes with extra-large storage baskets, expandable canopies, and convenient parent cup holders
- It has universal seat adaptors that fit several cars
- It is a tad heavy
- It is not so compact and occupies a lot of space
The reviews on this stroller were generally very positive, even though a few customers had complaints about the weight, but that is to be expected with a double stroller.
6. Best Lightweight Stroller: GB Pockit
This is another stroller that is currently making waves among parents and it is easy to see why. This stroller holds the 2014 Guinness world record for the most compact stroller, precisely why it was named the Pockit. When folded it can fit into a tote bag. Yes, it is that ultra-compact. It is also one of the lightest strollers in the market weighing just 9.5 pounds. This together with its ultra-compact nature make it an indispensable companion when on the move. It has lockable front swivel wheels which can rotate 360 degrees for easy turning and maneuver, overhead canopy, rear wheel parking brakes and padded handlebars for comfort. A secure and adjustable harness system with comfort pads is also present, and it can be set at different heights and fastened allowing the stroller to grow with your baby.
- It is extremely light and compact
- For a lightweight stroller, it certainly can take a lot of weight, up to 55 pounds.
- It is not very durable
The feedback on this product was generally good as most customers seemed very satisfied
Baby Strollers Buying Guide
The list of strollers above has been put together with careful consideration and extensive research to help you make the best choice of a stroller for you and your baby. It would interest you to know that some very important factors should be borne in mind when you're out for a stroller which will help narrow down your search. These factors include
- Your budget
- Terrain or environment in which the stroller will be used: Certain strollers have a sturdy build, can cope on any terrain and are usually a good option for folks living in big cities, while parents living in suburban areas might want a stroller that is easily collapsible and can easily fit into their cars
- Ease of use by you and other caregivers (practical, easy to apply brakes)
- Accessories you want to be included: Some parents might want their strollers to have certain inclusions such as sunshade, cup holder, large storage basket, and so
- Your lifestyle and family: some parent take their babies on runs or jogs might look to get strollers suited for such purposes while the size of the family in terms of the number of children in cases of multiple births can inform decisions to go for strollers suitable for such needs such as double strollers
- Age of the baby in question and any health concerns or special needs: certain strollers have certain age and weight limits outside which their use is not advisable, some strollers also have special features suitable for children with special needs.
FAQs on Baby Strollers
Are strollers and prams the same thing?
Stroller and pram are two words often used interchangeably, but the main difference is that prams are often used for newborn babies until they can stay up, while strollers are often used to carry toddlers or infants who have neck and back control and can sit up.
What can I do to maintain my stroller and keep it in good working condition?
One major thing to do to ensure that your stroller remains in good working condition is to not leave it outside in bad weather conditions. Also, regular cleaning and maintenance help to keep the stroller in good condition and prolong its life spans.
A soft towel in a solution of baby-safe detergent should be used to clean the frames, abrasive and strong solvents or detergents should be avoided. Also moving parts such as bearings of wheels should be lubricated from time to time using non-stick Teflon type lubricant is advisable as it doesn’t attract dirt.
How do I know if a stroller is appropriate for a newborn baby?
When picking a stroller for a newborn baby, ensure it has a bassinet. Otherwise, the seat must recline sufficiently to allow your baby to lie flat. A stroller that is convertible to an infant carrier or an infant car seat is very much advised.
Stroller Reviews and Comparisons
There are literally thousands of strollers out there in the market today. We do head-to-head comparisons and individual reviews of strollers to help you make informed decisions.
Buying a stroller for your baby is quite an important decision, and care has to be taken to ensure that the right choice is made. On the list above are some of the best ones in the market.
The UPPAbaby vista nevertheless is our overall top pick amongst them due to its ability to satisfy a very wide range of needs of babies and parents alike, an ability it possesses due to its very adaptable nature. Even with this very wide range, it is not suitable for everybody for various personal reasons. Feel free to go through this list to find that perfect stroller for you and your little angel and always keep in mind that the safety of your baby is of paramount importance.