As a parent of a baby, there would be instances where you have to make significant choices on several aspects of your baby’s growth and development. Perhaps the most important choice you might have to make will involve the safety of your child. For instance, if there are two products to pick from, you would most likely pick that which ensures the safety of your baby.
If you then intend to choose from two car seats of the same brand, this can be a very confusing task for you. One such brand is Britax Car seats, and this article will be comparing two of their models: the Britax Pioneer vs Frontier.
The Britax Pioneer and Britax Frontier are both combination car seats also known as harnessed booster seats. They are basically for children over the age of two and are used in forward-facing positions. It is also important to know that both seats have the same dimensions- depth, width, and shoulder width of 13.5 inches, 12 inches, and 15 inches respectively.
Furthermore, both seats have identical harness lengths and adjustments. The harness lengths range between 28 inches and 35 inches. As a result of the slot height that ranges between 12.5 inches and 20.5 inches, you can adjust the harness accordingly to fit your children comfortably and safely as they grow older. Apart from all these, these two seats have cup holders.
Main Differences between Britax Pioneer vs Frontier
Both car seats are practically indistinguishable, but they still have few differences. Some of these differences are highlighted below:
- Maximum Weight: When in a forward-facing position, the Frontier can take up to 90lbs while the pioneer can take just 70lbs; when in booster mode, the Frontier can go to 120 lbs as against 110 lbs of the Pioneer.
- Product Weight: While the Pioneer weighs about 21lbs, the Frontier weighs 25 lbs
- Price: The Frontier costs a substantial amount more than the Pioneer, which makes you wonder if the specifications and features worth the additional expense.
- Ease of Use: For installation into the car, the Pioneer uses Latch connectors while the Frontier makes use of something better called Clicktight.
Britax Pioneer Car Seat Review
The Britax Pioneer car seat is a forward-facing car seat that grows along with your child by easily converting from harness to booster mode. This seat can accommodate your child up to 110 pounds, meaning that your child will be secured until there is no need for an extra boost. In forward-facing harness mode, it can accommodate up to 70 pounds.
The Britax Pioneer Car Seat is easy to install using the LATCH system and the child can easily be buckled in. Besides, rethreading the harness straps won’t be necessary if you want to alter the height to a maximum of 20.5 inches. With its EPS foam, the Britax Pioneer car seat offers protection on the sides. The seat uses safe cell technology, a feature that allows the seat to lower the child’s center of gravity and compress in the course of a crash.
- The cover is easy-on and easy-off
- There is no need to rethread harness
- It makes use of push-button lower anchor connector
- Snack compartment in cup holders
- It is easy to install using the LATCH
- It comes with a nine-position headrest
- It is compatible with SecureGuard anti-submarine clip
- It does not fit every vehicle
- Sometimes, it can be difficult to install even with the latch
- The seat and its headrest squeak when moved
A lot of parents who gave their feedback on this seat love the fact that it lasts long, and the harness can be used for a long period.
On the other hand, some parents are turned off by the squeak of the seat and the difficulty they face when installing it.
Britax Frontier Car Seat Review
The Britax Frontier Car Seat is a unique twist of the 2-in-1 concept. It combines safety and comfort for your child. The best thing about this car seat is the easy means of installation. Britax makes use of a revolutionary installation mechanism called ClickTight that makes it easy for the Frontier to be installed. This seat can accommodate your child up to 120 pounds, meaning that your child will be secured until there is no need for an extra boost. In forward-facing harness mode, it can accommodate up to 90 pounds
It comes with two recline positions for comfort and the headrest has nine different adjustable positions, even as your child grows. With two integrated cup holders, the Frontier fulfills all of your child’s snacking needs. This model from Britax also features a steel frame and energy-absorbing materials to reduce movement of the car seat and to limit impact force when a crash occurs. This model meets and passes the Federal Safety Standards for car seats. One other feature of this seat that is amazing is that the cover can be removed easily and it is machine washable. Impressively, the Frontier has the highest maximum harness height of all USA manufactured car seats.
- It is one of the safest seats on the market
- With its unique ClickTight technology, it is easy to install
- It has push-button lower anchor connectors
- There is no need to rethread the harness
- It can use LATCH in booster mode
- It has the highest harness height capacity available on the market
- It has a very sturdy aluminum frame for extra security
- The harness can seem to be difficult to tighten
- It is a bit heavier than most car seats on the market
- It is also quite expensive
Some of the negative feedback on this seat are as a result of its weight. Other negative feedbacks from customers have to do with the cost. Other than these, most customers recommend this seat to others.
FAQs On Britax Car Seats
Are Britax seats the safest?
Britax seats are mostly easy to use and they have some features that we might guess would improve safety. They meet and pass the Federal Safety Guidelines for car seats, and this makes them one of the safest brands for car seats – if not the best.
Can I put my baby seat in front of my car?
Of course, you can. However, it is important to make sure that it is placed as far back as possible, especially if it’s a front-facing seat and there is an airbag present.
Can I use Britax Pioneer or Frontier for my infant?
It is not recommended that either of these two car seats is used in rear-facing for babies. They are made for toddlers who can sit alone, and that should begin from about 2 years.
Verdict: Britax Pioneer vs Frontier
When two products with many similarities from the same brand are being compared, it can be confusing to make the right choice. You realize that the features and specifications which you admire in one of the products are what is obtainable in the other product. The Pioneer and Frontier fall into this category.
With a lot of similarities and just a few differences in features, picking between these two seats could be tough. However, after a close observation of these seats, the better option is the Britax Frontier. This model comes with the company’s ClickTight installation system, which is easy, quick, and reliable. Also, it has higher weight limits for the forward-facing mode and the high-back booster mode. The Frontier is the safer option of the two and it has been designed to last longer, although it is more expensive. Nevertheless, once you put your money on the Frontier, you can be assured that it will stay with you for longer until your kid grows.