As you prepare your baby’s nursery, you might have read that having a warm mist humidifier in the nursery is a must. If you live in a place where it gets dry in the summer and cold enough to keep heat on all through the winter, then having extra moisture in the air will help to keep your baby breathing easily while he or she is sleeping.
The idea is simple: Humidifiers create moisture and put it out into the air. Dry air aggravates allergies and increases the risk of illness, so that moisture helps to create a healthy environment.
Top 5 Warm Mist Humidifiers for Nurseries
The Honeywell Filter-Free Warm Moisture Humidifier is an inexpensive way to provide warm mist in your baby’s nursery. The humidifier doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles and that is probably a good thing, as it means there are less things to break later on.
- Ultra quiet operation
- Filter free for easy maintenance
- Features a one gallon tank that can run continuously for 24 hours
- High and low settings to change the amount of mist generated
- Can be used with liquid inhalants
- Great for a medium sized room
- Being able to run for 24 hours is a big benefit, especially in the winter
- Provides basic function with good value
- Keeping the humidifier clean is a top priority in a baby’s room, so not having a filter isn’t the best option if the filter helps keep air cleaner
- Watch for mineral build-up over time. If the humidifier stops working or indicates that it constantly needs to be refilled, there could be a mineral deposit that needs to be cleaned
- Since the water is heating up, the humidifier will emit a boiling noise
- Using distilled or filtered water is helpful to keep the machine working well rather than using tap water
With the ability to alternate between warm and cool mist, the Levoit Ultrasonic Humidifier is a high end humidifier that will do everything you need it to, all year round. The high output capacity is great for larger nurseries or master bedrooms that double as nurseries.
- Provides cool and warm mist as needed
- High output, with 360 degree nozzle to blow mist in all directions
- Built-in sensor to monitor relative humidity levels
- 45 gallon capacity allows humidifier to operate for 36 hours
- Ability to add essential oils
- Multiple settings to control mist temperature along with a convenient timer function
- Ultra quiet operation
- Should be cleaned once a week when using regularly
- Being able to choose between cool and warm mist is a huge benefit
- Large capacity allows for a longer run time
- 360 degree nozzle could make placement in a room tricky, as you couldn’t put it up against a wall.
- One user reports using it heavily for over a year and the humidifier works great
- Some leakage has been reported
- Great humidifier, but too pricey for what it does
- Not easy to understand with so many buttons and display readings
The TaoTronics Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier does it all. With an easy to read LED display, you can choose from multiple temperature settings to bring the temperature of the mist all the way up to 160 degrees (F). The folks at TaoTronics understand that humidifiers can be noisy so their machine will not provide warm mist when the humidifier is set to sleep mode so as to not disrupt sleep.
- Provides warm and cool mist
- 5L capacity allows for 45 continuous hours of runtime
- Top fill for ease of keeping tank full and clean
- 3 temperatures for winter use
- Sleep mode and timer, LED display
- Ability to add liquid inhalants
- Quiet all night
- Being able to switch between warm and cool mist is a big benefit
- Able to run all night without needing to be refilled
- If you have a small space or don’t plan to run the humidifier for extended periods of time, then the TaoTronics might be too big for your needs
- Over 80% of the reviews are 5-star
- Use distilled or filtered water to improve performance
- Easy to use and very easy to clean
- Makes a soft whooshing sound when producing warm mist
The trusted experts in humidifiers, Vicks offers a warm mist humidifier that can be used with Vicks VapoSteam to help soothe babies who are dealing with congestion while also keeping the relative humidity of the room at a comfortable level.
- One gallon tank can run for one hour
- Works with inhalants like VapoSteam
- Easy to use, basic functioning humidifier
- No filter, so the possibility of contaminants coming into the air is high if you don’t clean the machine regularly
- Mist shoots straight up so it isn’t going out into the room
- Makes a gurgling sound
- Filtered water works best
- Fill hole is too small
- Works well for the price
The Total Comfort Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier offers a long runtime thanks to its dual tanks, a night light and the ability to produce both warm and cool mist. It also has a built-in cleaning system that isn’t seen with any other machine. Ideal for a 12 x 12 room.
- 7 gallon dual tanks offers up to 80 hours of continuous use
- Clean-tank technology provides antimicrobial protection from mold and mildew
- Easy to clean and use
- Prevents the buildup of “white dust” that can be found from using certain humidifiers
- Comes with a nightlight
- Comes with built-in cleaning technology that helps keep the humidifier working well consistently
- Could be larger than what you need
- If not placed high enough it will make the floor wet when the mist doesn’t evaporate
- Humidifier is noisy in warm mist mode
- Uses up more water when in warm mist mode than cool mist
What You Need To Know About Warm Mist Humidifiers Before You Buy One
Keeping moisture in the air is helpful, especially during the winter months when a home’s heating system dries out the air. Having a humidifier in a baby’s room helps to improve breathing conditions, which will help keep baby healthy.
Another added benefit to having a warm mist humidifier in your house is that it makes the air healthier in general. In fact, you might consider putting them in several rooms to keep the air nice and humid.
They will not only help to improve your family’s breathing in the summer and the winter as it keeps nasal passages from drying out, but warm mist humidifiers will also do wonders for your skin. The added moisture in the air has been shown to eliminate fine lines on your face and help nourish skin that can become damaged when it is too dry.
Is There A Difference Between Warm and Cool Mist Humidifiers?
Generally speaking, mist is mist. But there are some differences between the two that are important when it comes to shopping for a baby’s room.
When mist is heated, it will help kill bacteria in the air. Warm mist humidifiers create the most air saturation, but some people don’t like that warm mist humidifiers use fans to propel the mist, whereas cool mist humidifiers don’t need them. If noise is a consideration for you, then make sure you read the reviews carefully so that you don’t get a humidifier that will keep your baby up at night rather than help her sleep soundly.
The Honeywell and Vicks humidifiers cost less than $50 and perform well for the price without giving you a lot of technology that you might not need. The Levoit, TaoTronics and Total Comfort all come in at over $100, with the Levoit humidifier priced higher than the rest. As you can see, none of these models offer perfect feedback, so the decision really comes down to what you need.
When shopping for a humidifier for your baby’s nursery, keep in mind that a higher price doesn’t necessarily mean that you are getting a better product. The Honeywell and Vicks models will do the job just as well as the other three, but the key is whether or not they offer what you’re looking for.
Given that raising the relative humidity in a room – any room – is good for your health, it could be more useful to buy a humidifier that provides both warm and cool mist since both have therapeutic value for you and your baby. And if your baby is born between seasons, then you will need both cool and warm mist anyway.
When it comes to the best value, the TaoTronics Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier is your best bet. It offers everything you need and more, with the ability to set timers and use the humidifier over a long period of time without adding more water. The 5.5L gallon tank is enough to last all night, and the LED display makes it very easy to control so that you have the perfect level of humidity every time.