At 18 months old, kids develop quickly. During this stage they note and react to things they see, hear and feel. What they come in contact with during this vital stage of their life helps enhance and stimulate their still-forming minds. The right toy for 18-month-old babies is one that is engaging enough for them to go back to it time and time again but is also safe for their usage and does not need supervision from parents.
To make it easier for parents we have gone through several online stores and selected the top 30 toys for 18-months old babies. We divided this buying guide into the top 15 toys for boys and the top 15 toys for girls so that no one is left out on the fun. We hope this will help parents’ select better toys that their kids would absolutely love because a happy child equals a happy home.
Top 15 Toys for Boys
1. XIAPIA Baby Toddler Tricycle
What is more adorable than seeing your young one playing blissfully with their first tricycle. Watch your child push themselves easily around the house with this cute bike specially made for playful toddlers.
- It helps develop balance and coordination in toddlers
- It is made from durable materials
- Toddlers easily tip the bike over when they aren't used to it
2. Kidzlane Color Matching Egg Set
If you are looking for a toy that is really fun to use and enhances learning then this color matching egg set should be added to your shopping cart. Kids can match colors and numbers while having fun with friends or family members.
- It is a fun way to enhance learning and motor skills
- It is made of child-friendly materials in a durable case
- It is easy for Toddlers to operate without supervision
- If parts fall off from the toy is can constitute checking hazard
3. Rolimate Educational Puzzle Shape Sorter
Puzzles have been helping kids all over the world develop creative and imaginative minds which help improve their problem-solving ability. This Rolimate puzzle is perfect for 18-month-old boys who love challenges.
- It helps them learn through easy puzzles
- It is expertly made and safe for toddlers
- It can constitute checking hazards for smaller children
4. Fisher-Price Classic Xylophone
You probably had a xylophone while growing up or knew someone who had them. They are still nice to have and it gives them a sense of accomplishment when they hit the tiles with the mallet and it produces sweet sounds.
- The xylophone has wheels which make moving it easy for kids
- It helps them develop gross motor skills and hand to eye coordination
- The attached string is too short
No products found.
No products found.
No products found.
This electronic plane plays is a hit with children that are drawn to soothing music and flashing lights. Pressing a button plays various plane sounds such as landing, flight, and take-off that will make your little child curious and entertained for hours at a time.
- The plane moves around encouraging toddlers to chase after it
- It is easy to operate
- It is quite small and can be broken if handled improperly
6. VTech Busy Learners Activity Cube
This is an all in one learner’s cube that has 5 sides that encourage play with numbers, letters, and symbols. Let your kids explore and discover buttons that produce different songs, the fun never stops with this toy.
- It improves the development of motor skills
- Its has 25 different melodies to keep children entertained
- The melodies and sounds produced by this toy can become annoying to parents
7. Munchkin Windup Swimming Penguin
If your little one loves bath time in the tub, they are going to relish having this cute swimming penguin as a bath time companion. The penguin swims through water, simply wind up his arms and watch him go!
- It makes bath time easier for restless kids
- It stimulates audio-visual and hands to eye coordination
- If it is not properly cleaned it can lead to mold growth on the toy
8. FREE TO FLY Large Aqua Drawing Mat
If your kids are crafty and love drawing then you have to get them this drawing mat. It comes with stencils and plenty of pens so that your kids have all the tools they need to let out their creative genius.
- It allows kids to be creative without messing up the home
- Just soak the pens in water and they are good to go
- It is prone to tears
9. Spike the Fine Motor Hedgehog
Enhance your kid’s fine motor skills with this pegged hedgehog. It has colorful quills that improve color recommendations, sorting and counting skills through engaging motor skill games.
- It is easy to store for later use
- It is great for developing kids
- It is made of plastic that can be cleaned easily
- As kids get older they may get tired of the toy
10. VTech Touch and Teach Word Book
VTech provides another educational toy for toddlers which reacts to their touch, it plays sounds, music, and words. It is a nice toy for early education. It comes with four modes which include: what are the words, letter fun, music time and find it. Giving the perfect kid experience
- It is great for child development
- It has lots of play modes that keep children entertained for hours on end
- It takes a lot to press the buttons for a responsible
No products found.
No products found.
No products found.
This threading toy is one of the best toys for improving a wide range of skills in kids from hand-to-eye coordination to problem-solving and lots more. The toy is smooth and can be enjoyed by all toddlers
- It is easy to understand for kids
- It has a good replay value
- It has a long string and needs
12. Battat Pop-up Pals Sorting Animals
This toy gives your kids animal pals that are ready to pop out and play. Kids just need to press the blue, orange, purple or green knobs and different friends are there to say hello! Shut the door and do it all again for an awesome game of peekaboo.
- Cute animal faces and sounds will keep your kids engaged
- It improves hand to eye coordination
- It is sturdy but quite expensive
13. LeapFrog Chat and Count Phone Toy
This fun toy can serve as your kids first phone, they can sing along to counting songs and over 15 other activities with good animations that would have them smiling all-day
- Durable and made for good materials
- It has lots of intractable buttons to keep your child going all-day
- Battery dies easily
14. WolVol Set of 3 Push and Go Friction Powered Car Toys
A set of colorful toy cars that would keep your children playing for hours. It brings 3x the fun of a regular toy car and is a perfect gift for birthdays, holidays and other special occasions.
- They work without batteries
- They are made from safe durable materials
- They don’t move far on their own
15. LeapFrog Spin and Sing Alphabet
This is another great toy from LeapFrog which helps kids learn about animals and the alphabet while it spins. It has interactive lights that work when kids press buttons that play an animal sound or a song.
- It teaches kids the alphabet
- It plays different animal sounds
- The sounds can become annoying to parents
Top 15 Toys for Girls
1. Disney Minnie Mouse- Let’s have a Tea Party! Sound Book
The Disney sound book checks all the boxes for a great gift for 18-month-old girls. The Disney characters come to life with various sounds in its pages, taking kids on fun-filled adventures in this magical pink world
- It makes your little one work on their matching and motor skills
- The lights and sounds keep kids entertained for hours at a time
- The batteries don’t last very long
2. VTech Sunshine Bright Lights Unicorn
Girls never stop loving unicorns, this musical unicorn will take your kids on adventures with its enchanting melodies, songs, and phrases. It also comes with 7 charms which enable its light effect.
- It is fun to play with and enhances learning
- It has various modes to enable versatile play
- Battery saving mechanism shut down the toy quite often
3. LOFEE Drawing Doodle Board
This doodle board is great for children who love drawing. It encourages your young ones drawing habit taking away the mess that usually accompanies it.
- It doesn’t use ink which means no mess to clean for parents
- It is easy to use and can be wiped with an in-built slider
- It is fragile and breaks easily
4. LeapFrog Shape & Sharing Picnic Basket
If your girls love playing pretend with friends this interactive picnic basket takes fun to a whole new level. It complements play with plates, cups and other utensils. It also has music modes for more fun
- All picnic pieces fit inside for easy storage
- It keeps kids engaged for hours
- It requires 3 AA batteries which are not rechargeable
5. Melisa & Doug Lets Play House: Pretend Play Cleaning Set
The best home cleaning pretend playset for girls who love to imitate their parents. This set encourages movement and makes them have fun while they learn valuable skills.
- The playset can be used in various ways
- It is sized just for kids which makes cleaning very comfortable
- When not properly stored the parts fall off
6. Little People Music Parade Ride-on
This is a cute ride-on car for girls, it has different sound modes that make playtime so much fun. Kids can interact with the car by pressing the trumpets or drums to select different marching sounds for more fun.
- It is easy to use and encourages movement
- It has lots of sounds to keep kids entertained
- There is no way to regulate the volume of the songs
7. Dress-Up America Pretend Play Purse Set for Girls
An excellent pretend purse set for girls that love to help their mum with bags. It can be used for all sorts of fun, it includes a toy phone, car remote, lipstick and credit card to make it look real.
- Materials are non-toxic and safe to play with
- It is great for creative role play
- The purse might get loose if it is not handled properly
8. Conomus Piano Keyboard
Music is one of the great joys of childhood. It's a great birthday and Christmas gift to develop toddlers' musical talent at an early age.
- It helps improve hand to eye coordination and other skills
- It is non-toxic and safe for kids
- You will need to change the battery regularly
9. Green Toy Pink Truck
Who says girls can’t have fun with toy cars like boys? Prove them wrong by showing them this pink truck that is great for imaginative play and improves fine and gross motor skills.
- It is great for both indoor and outdoor play
- It is durable and made from safe materials
- It is quite expensive compared to other toy trucks
10. Toy Thrill Dancing Singing Duck
The singing, dancing duck from toy thrill will have your kids running around the house gleefully. It is equipped with 6 buttons that play different melodies and nursery rhymes that children can learn and even sing along.
- It is a really fun toy that all kids would love
- It has great songs that encourage kids to sing along
- It uses 3 AAA batteries which are not rechargeable
11. SplashEZ 3-in-1 Sprinkler for Kids
This water sprinkler is sure to be a hit with kids who like to play outdoors. It was created to make learning easy and fun. The splash zone has a learning mat for learning during play.
- It is easy to use and store away
- It encourages children to learn while they play
- Adult supervision is needed for some kids
12. KingBee Pink Princess Play Tent
This can be your young one’s palace tent, it is beautifully made for girls who love to be princesses living in a castle. It can be used both indoors and outdoors making this piece a must-have for every home.
- It is easy to assemble and store
- It is an affordable tent
- The tent is prone to tear
13. The First Years Stack Up Toys
When it comes to toys classics like stack-up cups offer a simple yet fun way for kids to have fun. The cups are numbered for easy counting and they can also be used for several types of games.
- It is a simple yet versatile toy that kids can play with every day
- It is light and easy for kids to carry about
- It can be less exciting for some children
14. Little Tikes Magenta Rocking Horse
Watch your girls ride into the sunset on this beautiful magenta rocking horse. It is just the right size for a toddler, it has smooth edges and will liven up any bedroom or playroom.
- It has grip handles for safe play
- It has a low saddle designed for stability
- Some sides might be too rough for some girls
15. GUND Baby Floral the Bunny
This rabbit is a cute toy that all girls should have, it is made of soft materials that are gentle against your infant’s delicate skin. It sings and says peek-a-boo with the cutest voice ever
- Kids can interact with this toy easily
- It is made for great materials
- It is quite expensive compared to other dolls
Shopping For 18-Month-Old Kids
Shopping for 18-months-old kids can be tasking because at this stage they begin to like different toys relating to their gender. Girls devote lots of time to things that remind them of fairies and princesses, while boys begin to pick action figures, toy cars and bicycles. The right toy would be something that piques their interest and can be played with friends. Parents need to avoid selecting items that their kids would get tired of easily, gifts should always benefit your kid one way or another.
Moreover, at this age children like to move around the house and explore places the best toys for them would be those that are fun and encourage movement.
Top Shopping Tips Secret
When shopping there are some tips that every parent should have which would help them select the best toys for their 18-months-old kids. These tips have been tested and are sure to help parents select the best toys online and in stores.
- Is it safe for everyday play?
- Can it keep my child engaged for hours at a time?
- Does it teach my child new skills?
- Is it durable enough to survive several falls?
When a toy ticks all the boxes then you know the toy is going to be a hit with your kids, and you can easily pick toys for all occasions.
The 30 toys selected in this guide are perfect for 18-month-old kids, parents are free to pick other toys as long as they meet the 4 requirements from the secret shopping tips above. Toys should be fun and provide much-needed assistance for their development. That being said, parents should always be on the hunt for the perfect toy for their kids.