When dealing with flights, you have all kinds of things to worry about. You have to think about what is or isn’t allowed on the plane. Worrying about your baby and her safety on the plane should be at the bottom of your list! Not in the way you think; of course, your baby’s safety is a top priority, but you should not have to constantly be questioning yourself on whether or not your baby’s car seat is suitable and safe for flying.
Another thing you’ll have to keep in mind are any regulations that different airlines may have regarding baby’s weight and height and carseat safety, but to save you the research, we have provided the basic requirements for most airlines when it comes to baby’s safety! Not all airlines are the same, but most of them keep to similar guidelines.
Below, I have listed the best baby carriers for flying that fit the criteria for most airlines, so you don’t have to spend hours researching!
Best Baby Carriers for Flying: Our Picks
Below we have presented a few diverse options for traveling with your baby, as not every baby carrier is suited to fit every parent’s needs and preferences. Some key components of traveling with babies are comfort (for mom, dad AND baby), versatility, convenience, safety, affordability (you don’t want to have to shell out a couple hundred bucks after you’ve already spent a fortune on plane tickets, right?), and ease of use. Here are a few different options to choose from so you can have the most pleasant flight possible! Your fellow passengers will thank you.
With Cosco being one of the leading car seat manufacturers for the last 70 years, you know you’re getting some of the highest quality products available for your baby! Some features of this seat include an adjustable six harness strap system to accommodate your baby’s always-growing body, cup holders for easily stored and accessible snacks and drinks, built-in side impact protection and most importantly, certification for use on any aircraft that allows babies.
- Has the option to both rear face (up to 40lbs) and forward face (up to 50lbs)
- Certified for aircraft use
- Affordable for most families
- Easy installation
- Not convenient to carry around
What Customers Say
Customers are raving about this carseat, and they absolutely LOVE the following things about this seat:
- Easy to clean
- Very durable
- Comfortable for baby
With 6 ways to carry baby, exquisite lumbar support, adjustable straps, adequate padding, and much more, this carrier is the definition of top notch! Have your baby ride in style with LilleBaby’s Complete Baby Carrier, and enjoy being able to actually breathe and relax on your trip for the first time in your life! Traveling with a baby has never been easier.
- Utmost comfort for baby and parent
- Can be used from birth to age 4
- Temperature regulated, so no more sweating under that little heat machine of a baby!
- Head support for baby, plus a hood to protect baby’s head from the sun
- Approved by International Hip Dysplasia Institution
- Great for not only air travel, but for everyday use
- Some airlines may ask you to remove baby carrier from your body during takeoff and flight
What Customers Say
Customers call this lightweight carrier many things, but the main adjectives used to describe LilleBaby’s Complete Carrier consist mainly of:
- Pain relieving
- Easy to use
Another unique and convenient feature of this carrier is that the adjustable straps allow you to breastfeed baby without ever removing her from the carrier! Not many, if any at all, carriers offer that option.
The Maya Wrap is super easy to store when not in use and incredibly simple to put on and take off; not to mention it’s breathable, equipped with a protected zipper pocket, and made only of cotton and USA manufactured aluminum rings. Moms love this comfy yet fashionable system, and they highly recommend investing in one of these for your next flight with your baby!
- Non bulky and lightly padded
- Extremely lightweight (less than half a pound!)
- Adjustable to accommodate baby’s growth
- Some claim it takes a few tries to master how to put it on correctly, but once you get it, you’ve got it!
- While the maximum weight is 35 pounds, this carrier/wrap is better suited for smaller babies
What Customers Say
Most customers have nothing but positive things to say, such as comments specifically about its versatility and compactibility, and the fact that it is perfect for everyday baby wearing, along with wearing on flights. However, a lot of customers have mentioned that it takes a lot of practice to really get it down pat. I would personally say that this carrier is a great option for anyone who is planning on taking their baby flying!
Safety 1st is one of the leading brands of car seats, and with a name like theirs, you know safety is their number one priority! Your child will ride both in style and comfort, along with safety. This seat comes fully equipped with side impact protection, 5 different harness heights, an adjustable headrest, compact design to conveniently fit in smaller cars, and much more. What is probably most unique about this carseat is the fact that your child can remain harnessed for up to 65lbs, or up to 52 inches tall!
- Height and weight limits are much higher than other brands
- Has the capability of rear or forward facing
- Has a removable cup holder
- Extremely durable
- Easy to clean
- Slightly heavier than most carseats and carriers
- A little more on the pricey side, but not totally unaffordable
What Customers Say
Lots of customers absolutely love their Safety 1st Guide 65 seat, and feel that it is totally worth the investment! Some key words used to describe it are comfortable, compact, super safe, and convenient. Not to mention, it opens up a lot of legroom for your little one! Plus, when you aren’t flying, this car seat is perfect for even the smallest cars. In larger cars, it frees up a ton of room, so the bulkiness of a carseat is the least of your worries.
You know how one of the main complaints about baby carriers is that they get way too hot, with the little heater of a baby pressed up against your middle all day? You can throw those assumptions out the window with this Bable carrier! One of its most unique features is that there is a flap you can roll up and button under the carrier, revealing a mesh material designed to circulate air around you and baby. During the cold months, you just unroll the flap, reattach, and you and baby are insulated once again!
There are also padded shoulder straps and waistband, five different ways to wear baby, and a foldable headrest to provide extra support baby needs.
- Crafted for all seasons
- Affordable price
- Keeps baby in a comfortable, natural “M” position
- Fits a wide range of waist sizes
- Evenly distributes baby’s weight to relieve back pain
- Made for smaller children (8-20 lbs)
What Customers Say
While the most important thing is safety when it comes to carrying your baby, there are tons of other key components that come into play. Customers who have purchased this carrier have bragged on its versatility, high quality fabric, and its ability to provide great support for both parent and baby. Everyone agrees, this product is not only affordable and safe, but ultra comfy and versatile!
What Are the Laws in Regards to Babies Flying?
There is really only one “law” when it comes to babies flying on a plane, and that is children over the age of one have to coincide with the Child Aviation Restraint System. Legally, children up to two years old can sit in the parent’s lap during a flight, but it is strongly suggested by airlines to strap them in accordingly. If your child is over the age of two, or weighs more than 44 pounds, your child will require a separate plane seat. You can call your airline and see if they offer a discount for any empty, unused seating on the plane so your child can have their own seat.
Here are the criteria for car seats on a plane by weight, suggested by most airlines”:
- For children under 20 pounds, a rear-facing car seat is recommended for their safety in case of turbulence or crash
- Children 20-40 pounds should sit in a forward facing car seat
- Over 40 pounds indicates they weigh enough for their own plane seat
It is also recommended that the car seat is no wider than 16 inches, but with the armrests lifted, there is a little wiggle room for another inch or two.
Things to Know When Flying with Your Baby
There are a few other things to keep in mind when flying with a baby, along with deciding which carrier works best for you. Here are a couple of tips to help you through one of the most difficult things you’ll have to do! (Kidding, but seriously, it is NOT easy flying with kids)
1. Allow yourself extra time to get ready and travel
When you have kids, especially when they’re babies, you know anything can happen at any time. Say you’re 30 minutes away from the airport, rushing to get out the door, when suddenly your baby has a nasty blowout. That takes at LEAST 20 minutes to handle, so now you’re late. Try to allow yourself a little extra time, even if it means getting up earlier, to avoid having something like this happen.
2. Keep your baby’s schedule in mind
No matter the distance you’re flying, baby can and will get fussy. Try to keep any schedule you may have at home to make baby feel a little more comfortable; you can also bring a favorite blanket or stuffed animal to make baby feel more at home.
3. Ignore the onlookers
It’s no secret– passengers who do not have children are going to side-eye you as soon as they see you board with a baby in tow. You just have to let it roll off your back; it’s not personal, they likely have had past negative experiences with babies on an airplane and are just biased about them. They don’t hate you or your baby, they just know that the pressure and any turbulence may irritate your baby and cause them to be fussy.
Out of all the baby carrier product picks, there can be only one winner. I know that there are a couple of different types of carriers listed, so it proves to be a bit difficult to select a winner, but today we are going with LilleBaby’s Complete Carrier! It has the most positive reviews out of all the products, and just proves to be the most versatile and safe, along with the most comfortable and easy to use.
I chose LilleBaby for many reasons but the main reason is the safety that it provides for baby when mom and dad take a flight. It is so important for your baby to be comfortable when flying, but the most vital factor is that baby is SAFE during the whole flight!
- SIX POSITIONS: The LÍLLÉbaby COMPLETE Airflow baby carrier is comfortable, lightweight and features six ergonomic carry styles, lumbar support and is made of breathable cotton mesh for maximum air...
- VERSATILE CARRYING: LÍLLÉbaby COMPLETE Baby Carrier provides comfort & support for all with two-way straps for front or backpack-style carrying, large storage pocket, removable sleeping hood &...
- HANDS-FREE COMFORT: When on-the-go, LÍLLÉbaby's baby carriers & toddler carriers let you hold your child in comfort and style. Adjustable side panels widen & narrow the seat for comfortable hip...
Last update on 2020-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API