There is a common misconception that colon cleansing is only essential for the preparation of medical procedures such as colonoscopies.
However, everyone who is suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) understands the importance of colon cleanses for detoxification purposes and reducing pain. Think of colon cleansing as the same satisfaction you get from popping a pimple.
It’s a great feeling when you unclog something that has been clogged for a while, especially if your colon is not functioning properly due to this blockage.
If you are trying to decide whether or not you need colon cleansing, then you must understand everything there is to know about the process, including its benefits and risks.
This way, you will be able to make a calculated and informed decision that is suitable for what your body needs. In order to limit the confusion, here is everything you should know about colon cleansing before you decide to do it.
What is Colon Cleansing?
Colon cleansing, hydrotherapy, or irrigation is a practice that depends on flushing out the colon in order to get rid of any stored stool or blockage that might have been caused by prolonged issues in the digestion process or bowel movements.
This practice has been around since ancient times due to the belief that digestive waste forms a danger to the body, so it’s essential to get rid of it. In today’s market, Some home remedies come with big claims that they have the power to cleanse your colon and cleanse your system.
Most of the time, however, this procedure is done only by professionals while you lie down on a table to prevent things from going south. There are different methods to perform a colon cleanse.
One way is colon hydrotherapy where a tube is inserted to shoot water into the rectum and another tube for expelling toxins. This process is extremely close to enemas, but they are performed with more liquid and sometimes, herbs, caffeine, or other substances.
How to Do It?
In the past, colon cleanses could only be done under a therapists’ supervision and assistance. Fortunately, nowadays, there are many available easy options to do your own colon cleansing in the comfort of your house.
If you are trying to decide on the best way to perform a colon cleanse for your body, then reading online reviews and understanding more about the subject might help in making the right decision.
There are a few supplements and aids used for colon cleansing at home such as herbal teas, enemas, laxatives, enzymes, and more. Before settling on a decision, make sure you seek a professional opinion that can determine for sure what’s best for your body.
For people who don’t suffer from any digestion problems, colon cleanses are not necessary nor helpful since their digestive system already gets rid of any stored waste without any issue.
Other people who suffer from digestive issues or IBS might benefit greatly from performing a colon cleanse, regardless of the used method.
While scientists haven’t managed to reach a conclusion yet regarding whether colon cleanses are beneficial or harmful, here are some benefits you should expect after a colon cleanse.
- It gets things moving: Historically, ancient Egyptians have depended on colon cleanses as the best treatment for constipation.
- If you have never dealt with this issue, then you are one of the lucky ones. Recent stats have shown that more than 4 million Americans suffer from constipation and many of its side effects.
- In fact, it’s estimated that nearly 900 people die every year from issues caused only by constipation. Colon cleanses are used to treat constipation since you get rid of everything stored in your bowels.
- Detoxifying colon: Our bodies are designed to detoxify itself without any external help. Over the years as we age, bacteria and toxins begin to build up. Regardless of the type, or the source of these toxins, they always end up in the colon.
- This can really take a toll on the body if left unattended. Colon cleanses are used to get rid of any toxin buildup to improve bowel movements and enhance body health.
- Weight loss: Many people who suffer from IBS understand the struggle of not finding anything colon-friendly to eat, yet suffer from weight gain even if they aren’t eating enough.
- This all happens due to irregular bowel movements that stand in the way of a healthy metabolism. When there are a lot of toxins in your colon, losing weight becomes nearly impossible.
- Improves immune functions: There is a controversy around this belief. Some people say that colon cleanses are sometimes essential for improving the immune system and overall body health.
- Some people believe that colon cleanses are completely useless, if not harmful, and should never be done. Our intestines are responsible for keeping the body healthy and free from toxins. Colon cleanses, in the situation of a blockage or a certain issue, can give a boost to the immune system by pulling out all built-up toxins.
It’s Not Safe for Everyone
Even if you have read anything there is to read about colon cleanses, it’s still vital to consult a health expert on the matter in order to decide what’s better for your body and health.
For example, colon cleanses might be deadly for people who suffer from kidney problems or heart disease. This is because these people already have a hard time balancing body fluids.
Colon cleanses can cause dehydration which might cause complicated issues for many people. Before making a decision, make sure that this step doesn’t have any negative side effects for you.
Suffering from IBS or other digestion problems might affect the overall quality of life. Constant pain and discomfort are considered a normal part of the lives of people who suffer from these conditions.
Colon cleanses might be the answer since they depend merely on flushing your colon from any toxins or harmful buildups that might cause health issues and problems.
It’s essential that you spend enough time and effort looking for the best option for your body depending on your needs.